What Life Insurance Considerations do I Need to Take Before Surgery?

The moment you have been scheduled a surgery, you should make sure that you contact your insurance company and update them on the issue. Provide them with the date to have the surgery, type of procedure and the phone number of the hospital’s office. Ensure to discuss the type of post-surgery services that are covered by your insurance plan, like the home physical therapy, rehabilitation hospital care and the equipments e.g a walker and a commode.

You should establish whether your insurance covers for extended care stay

In case your primary insurance is Medicare, you will be paid 100% for your first 20 days of sub-acute rehab. Afterward, the cover by Medicare will be 80% of the cost, up to 100 days in total. The other 20% that is not paid by Medicare will be covered by secondary insurances. In case you have a private insurance company such as Blue Cross, Priority Health, HAP as your private insurance, you should call 1-800 the number found on the back of your card. Enquire to know whether you will get a skilled nursing benefit and the facilities covered by your insurance in your area.

Seek to know how you will get the equipment needed such as the walker, bedside commode, etc

In case you have planned to go directly home after having a surgery from the hospital, you will meet the case manager to discuss on the equipment you may require at home. Your insurance coverage will then be verified and the equipment ordered. You will be given your equipment at the room of your hospital before you leave. In case you will be going to an extended care facility, you will meet with the discharge planner to ensure that you carry over any equipment to cater for your needs. Your equipment will be ordered just prior to your discharge from the facility.

You should seek to know how you will get home or to my extended care facility from the hospital

You have two choices. In case your physical therapist acknowledges that you are moving well enough, you can be picked up from hospital by a family member or a friend, during the discharging day.  Nevertheless, In case your physical therapist sees that you are not moving well enough, or you have a feeling that you will not be able to get into a car, an arrangement can be done for you to have a wheelchair van that will pick you up and also take you home or to the extended care facility. The company of the wheelchair van needs payment during the time of service, because it’s not covered by insurance.

Every health plan is different. To make yourself understand your surgery’s financial ramifications, you should:

  • Inquire from your surgeon to get a breakdown of the cost of your procedure and the preparation, care and supplies that are necessary.
  • Get information from the summary given by insurance companies at the time you enrolled in your plan. Insurance companies often list the costs for care that are covered and excluded.

Leave a reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>